Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Doing my bloggerly duty

I feel that it is my duty to spread the word of responsible financial planning to anyone who will listen. So I was very pleased that Boyfriend and I got a chance last night to pump Boyfriend's brother full of useful financial information. He's a sophomore in college and took out his first loan - at 10%!!! We had gone out for dinner and as we were walking back to the car, we were talking about my blog and the Under 30 Honor Roll, and as we pulled out of the garage Boyfriend's brother asked if the cost of the meal was going to go in my blog. I said probably not, but if I had thought about it I would have brought along the debit card connected to the checking account which I stash money in for gifts and special occasions, and used that to pay for the food. That's how we got started on the whole topic of money and budgeting and credit cards, etc. So we talked to him about getting a credit card to start establishing a credit history, but not using the card more than is necessary to keep it active. We also talked about the credit report, cosigning, and even a bit on budgeting. He seemed to really welcome this information so I hope it does him good, and gets him a lower interest rate on his next loan!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really good- building my credit back in the day is something I wish someone would have told me about. Nobody really tells you these things.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. I think I one of my brothers on the road to a Roth IRA. Are any other under 30 honor roll people on facebook? I'm seriously considering starting a group called "Roth IRAs are Sexy" or something like that. Love your blog Ms. Kira!