I had completely forgotten about this post from way back when until someone commented on it a few days ago - I don’t remember writing it, but it is a funny snapshot of my life five years ago. It's funny to see how much has changed and how much hasn't! Below is the original with my comments.
100 things about me
1. I was born on December 8th. - Still true.
2. I am a brunette.- Still true.
3. I am short. - I am actually somehow half an inch shorter now. I don’t approve.
4. I wear a digital watch all the time. - I stopped about two years ago and now this watch is out of batteries. I just check my phone if I want to know what time it is.
5. I have two guinea pigs. - The guinea pigs passed away within a few months of each other about two years ago.
6. My guinea pigs are named Adrian and Wedge Antilles.
7. Both of my guinea pigs are named after movie characters. - The first was named after Rocky’s girlfriend (my previous guinea pig was Rocky) and the second is a character from Star Wars.
8. I hate grapefruit juice. - Yup, still disgusting.
9. I like ranch dressing on my French fries. - It’s good, you should try it.
10. I went to college in Cleveland, Ohio.
11. I am a science dork.
12. Specifically, I am a biology dork.
13. I own at least 30 books about genetics. - Still true although I don’t buy so many anymore. I do like nonfiction books and like to learn about new things.
14. I hate shopping for clothes. - Actually now I like shopping for clothes, but I do it all online. I have a lot more clothes than I used to!
15. I love shopping for food. - Still true. Now I have gotten into couponing and go at least once a week.
16. My favorite color is red. - Still true.
17. My favorite stores are IKEA and the grocery store. - I would say now it’s Target, The Container Store, and a local Giant Eagle Market District where they make crepes.
18. I love fruit. - I still eat a ton of clementines in season. I don't really like bananas anymore though for some reason.
19. I have bought only 1 music CD in the last five years. - I have been given physical CDs as gifts several times in the past few years, and have bought several albums on iTunes.
20. I have more than 11 gigabytes of music. - Probably still true, I haven’t counted.
21. I use Excel to organize just about everything. - Still true. I really, really enjoy making lists.
22. My cat is named after an ancestor of Aragorn. - Still have this cat. (The name is Fingolfin, if you were curious.) We also have acquired a second cat, named Zoe (after the character from Firefly, since she is a feisty woman.)
23. I have a bamboo plant in my office. - I still have this bamboo plant. It’s much bigger now and needs to be re-potted for the fourth time.
24. There are earthworms living in my bamboo plant's pot.
25. Both of these earthworms are named Rupert. - I’m pretty sure these earthworms are now part of the bamboo plant. I haven’t exactly checked, though.
26. I enjoy high-quality scissors. - I do love scissors. I used to buy them wherever I saw a sale because I’d lose them, but I’ve been better about keeping them where I can find them these days.
27. I am trying to grow out my hair - below the shoulders is short. - It’s almost down to my bum now. I do need a trim.
28. I wear glasses. - Still true.
29. I got glasses in tenth grade, but am only on my second pair. - I’m still wearing these frames, though I have had the lenses changed.
30. I used to collect cut gemstones. - The collection is in the glasses case from my first pair of glasses.
31. I also used to collect blue glass bottles. - I’m pretty sure my parents threw them in the recycling when they moved house.
32. Now I collect Shaun the Sheep items. - I have a few, but now the only thing I would say I collect are “maneki neko” or “lucky cat” figurines.
33. I have art posters all over my office to cover the damage from the previous occupant. - I didn’t realize how lucky I was at that job to have my own office - now I have a cubicle! I have art up here, mostly drawings sent to me by one of my patients.
34. I am extremely organized. - The older I get, the more anal I get about some things.
35. But, I am very messy at the same time. - My tolerance for messiness is going down, but I can still whip up a righteous mess!
36. I have been using computers since I had sufficient manual dexterity. - My parents have a picture of me using one of our first computers while sitting on phone books. I was probably about four.
37. My home computer is blue with a light inside. - I actually have an entirely new computer but it is still blue with a light inside.
38. My previous computer case had a hole cut out of the top with tin snips. - The things one does for ventilation.
39. I eat dry Mini Wheats and Cup A Soup as snacks at work. - These days I bring cheese slices, peanut butter crackers, sliced cucumber with hummus, Fruit Rollups, or Cheezits. I do have some Cup A Soup in my desk.
40. I can't cook independently, but I can follow a recipe. - Boyfriend does most of our cooking. I do all the baking.
41. My favorite ice cream is mint chocolate chip. - Still true.
42. I hate mint in all other forms, including gum and toothpaste. - Unless it involves chocolate, as in York peppermint patties, which I do like a lot.
43. I hardly ever write checks or use cash. - I use checks now for buying things at estate sales, or paying for the dog’s daycare.
44. I have never actually used up a book of checks before I switched banks. - I did actually have to order checks about two months ago. But we haven't moved in almost three years.
45. I was an early adopter of Paypal in about 1998 - they gave me $20 to sign up. - I have three PayPal accounts now.
46. I was also an early adopter of eBay. - I still use it all the time!
47. In high school, I used to buy what can nicely be described as drag queen shoes on eBay to wear to school. - I wrote one of my college application essays about the economics of drag queen shoe sizes on eBay (i.e. they were not listed for men, but those items that were large enough for men to wear were much more expensive.)
48. These were the "scare the freshmen" shoes. - I hope I made an impression.
49. I want a dog. - I got a dog a little over three years ago. I got her two weeks before getting canned from a job, so it was very good timing because I wouldn’t have gotten a dog when I didn’t have a job, but having the dog for company made unemployment a lot more bearable.
50. I didn't get a cell phone until junior year of college. - I have had one continuously since, and don’t have a home phone line.
51. I really get a kick out of getting those $10 checks from the credit card company to sign up for crap I don't need. - Sadly you don’t get those anymore.
52. I love editorial cartoons. - Eh. I like them but I read more articles now.
53. My favorite TV show is Animal Patrol on Animal Planet. - I still like this but I’d say I like It’s Me Or the Dog, The Soup, Glee, or Community better. I watch more TV because I go to the gym and they have it on.
54. I also like Project Runway on Bravo. - Haven’t watched it in years!
55. For these reasons we are not getting rid of our cable even though it is expensive. - We still have cable. It’s actually not that much since we also have cable internet.
56. I held 11 different jobs during college. - I don’t know how I crammed so much in!
57. By the time I graduated college, I was working four different jobs at the same time. - I’m kind of a workaholic.
58. I got fired from two of those jobs. - I’ve now been fired from two more jobs.
59. But I didn't like them anyway, so pooh to them. - Pooh to them.
60. My favorite candy is Zero bars. - I’d say it’s malt balls now.
61. Actually, I just love candy. - I do love candy, but I now have diabetes. Hooray pancreas!
62. Fortunately, I have had only one real cavity, and that was in a molar that fell out. - I haven’t had any since then either.
63. I had braces, but only for about a year and a half. - I still have cement on my teeth. Dental hygienists think it’s plaque and try to take it off. Eventually they will remove all of it.
64. Which was fortunate because I did so much damage to them that it probably cost twice as much as it should have.
65. I have one sister, who is older than me. - She is still older than me.
66. She had to have braces a lot longer than I did. Ha ha.
67. I have a bicycle with a detachable basket. - This was stolen. I was very sad.
68. I do not like to vacuum. - I still hate vacuuming but I do like using my Swiffer sweeper vacuum to get dog hair off the hardwood floors.
69. I do like to load and unload the dishwasher. - I am still in charge of this. I have my own methods of getting as much crap in as possible.
70. I lasted only three weeks in my new apartment before breaking down and buying the dishwasher. (I was going to wait for my second paycheck before buying it.) - We later sold this dishwasher for $100. I probably could have gotten more, it was a nice one!
71. I am not much of a doodler. - I can’t really draw. I do color in the insides of letters sometimes if I am bored in a meeting.
72. I like to have separate bank accounts for different goals, even if all but one don't have anything in them right now. - I have accounts in ING for my car insurance, synagogue fees, and home improvement - only the car insurance one has money in it.
73. I read very quickly and devour content. - Love to read - I read fast and indiscriminately.
74. I like Asian food, particularly Thai and Japanese. - Yes. Now I am hungry.
75. I will eat just about anything with Korean barbecue sauce on it. - This is very sugary so I don’t eat it much anymore. When we eat chicken wings now, I use melted butter, Red Hot, and chopped garlic as a sauce.
76. My favorite vegetable is red peppers. - I like them a lot but I eat a lot of cucumbers with hummus now.
77. I have absolutely no tolerance for spicy stuff. - Hate hate hate.
78. I almost always order eggplant parmesan at Italian restaurants. - I have branched out a lot!
79. I have an ancient laptop with stickers all over the lid (it's about seven years old now.) - I still have this laptop but never use it. I bought one new about four years ago.
80. It took me less than six weeks after graduation before I started my first job. - I was at that job for a year and a half.
81. This was the fourth job I interviewed for. - I do really well at interviews.
82. I really enjoy saving up coins. - Now I mostly use them in the snack machine at work.
83. I have two piggy banks, one for silver change and one for pennies. - One is an elephant and one is a zebra pig.
84. Unfortunately, I hardly ever get any change because cash runs through my hands like water, so I try not to carry any. - I carry an emergency $20 but otherwise don’t carry more than a few dollars.
85. I have a weird farmer's tan from going to a baseball game more than a month ago. - I got burned really badly at that game. I usually get a pretty good tan in the summer, though, from being outside gardening and mowing the lawn.
86. I like to eat frozen fruit. - Haven’t done this in years. Now it hurts my teeth.
87. In the summers, when I lived in un-air-conditioned places, I used to keep a store of blue cool-packs in the fridge to wear on my head. It really works. - It does work. You can also put them behind your knees.
88. I also had a special ice-tube-maker-tray for making tubular ice that I would put in my guinea pig's water bottle when it was really hot. - Now I put ice cubes in the dog’s bowl.
89. I really like egg salad, potato salad, macaroni salad.. all of those salads that are in fact really bad for you. - I will make macaroni salad sometimes in the summer, from a recipe from Boyfriend’s family, but otherwise I eat much healthier now!
90. I drink Crystal Light all day at work cause I am too cheap to buy more Powerade. I just reuse the bottle over and over. - I still do this. And I am so cheap I buy the Crystal Light at Big Lots.
91. I was a vegetarian from ages 12 through 21. - I was a bad vegetarian - ie I never ate vegetables!
92. I still buy most of my meat from Whole Foods. I used to buy it from a co-op. - Much of our meat still comes from Whole Foods.
93. My cell phone plays "Call Me" by Blondie when my parents call. - I have a new phone and it plays “When I’m Sixty-Four” no matter who calls.
94. It plays "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish" when my boyfriend calls. - I had forgotten about this. Maybe I can set that back up. That’s pretty funny.
95. At any given moment there are usually four pairs of shoes in my office - one pair is on my feet. - I still store shoes under my desk. Right now there are clogs, ballet flats, and probably a pair of flip flops.
96. I like the premium Kraft better than the regular old mac 'n cheese, but I don't like Velveeta. - I eat Easy Mac now and again but hardly ever eat other macaroni from a box. Sometimes we’ll get prepared mac and cheese from the deli.
97. My favorite cheese is Havarti. - I eat a lot of weird shit now.
98. As a kid, I used to eat raw hot dogs pretty much all the time. - I still do this sometimes. I will cut them up and take them to work with me.
99. At one point, I had five sets of earring holes. I let the top ones close and now I don't wear any earrings. I kept losing them. - I’m down to two sets of earring holes. I don’t wear earrings very often though.
100. I love books and have bought more than 40 in the past year. - I don’t buy as many books these days, partially because Boyfriend’s family gives me books for Christmas and partially because I am trying to get through my backlog.