Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Playing with my retirement money

Since I plan to deposit about $2500 into my Roth to fill it out soon, I messed with the contributions a little - changing from 50/50 international equity/midcap blend to 30/30/30/10 international equity/midcap value/smallcap index/smallcap equity. Since the options in my regular plan aren't particularly risky, I pretty much put all the risk in the Roth where I have a nice selection of funds of various types. I also transferred $1000 from my equity index fund in the 403(b) and put it into international equity, since I had $7k in equity index and about $700 in international equity and that didn't seem particularly diversified.

Next year I will be able to afford to bump up the Roth considerably - a large sum in January and then a smaller, regular sum that has not yet been determined. Probably $1000 in a lump and then $250 a month, or something. Not sure yet. I will be putting at least $200 a month extra into the 403(b), as well.

4 comments:

Kira said...

Hey Kira! (My name is Kira too... spelled the same way and everything. I know. Weird) Anyway, first of all, congrats on the new job! Read it a couple of days ago. Second - you are an inspiration to all of us under 30 that we can all find the $$ to put away for retirement. Having trouble funding my Roth for the year, but I will do it! Thanks for the inspiration!

Kira said...

That's cool =) I have only known one other Kira in my life.

Now is the time to save.. it never will get any easier!

Erik said...

Hey Kira - just wanted to say congrats on the job promotion and being able to sock away a good amount of cash into your retirement account. I contribute about $150 a month into my 401(k) right now, and it has a 50 percent match. Hopefully I'll get a raise this year though, and be able to bump that up. Anyway, love reading the blog, keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Breast Cancer under 30
Common Breast Cancer Myths

The first myth pertaining to this disease is that it only affects women.

Second myth that is associated with this disease is that if one has found a lump during an examination, it is cancer.

Third is that it is solely hereditary

The next myth associated with breast cancer is downright ridiculous. Would you believe, that in this day and age, some individuals still think that breast cancer is contagious?

Conversely, some individuals foolishly believe that breast size determines whether or not one gets cancer.

Finally, another myth that is associated with this disease is that it only affects older people. This is not so. Although the chance of getting breast cancer increases with age, women as young as 18 have been diagnosed with the disease.

You can find a number of helpful informative articles on Breast Cancer under 30 at breast-cancer1.com
Breast cancer under 30